legion icon
National Web site

Department of Indiana

 

Home

About Us

Membership

Resturant Menu

Events

Bingo

Newsletter

Post Officers

Flashbacks

Post Photos

Early Bird Dinner

POW/MIA

S.A.L

Auxiliary

Club Hours

Resources

Contact us

Our mission is to support veterans and active duty member, their families and the community we live in. This site is intended to help those interested in our great community learn where to go for fun or to get help. We provide fundraising opportunities for charitable organization opportunity through our Saturday morning benefit breakfasts. Our beautiful restaurant on the hill is a quiet oasis in the heart of the busy community. Click on one of the feature pictures below to learn more
About our post

About our post

Burton Woolery was a well-known stone operator. He graduated from Bloomington High School and enrolled at Indiana University in 1917, where he was a member of the Phi Delta Theta fraternity. When WW1 broke out he was a freshman at Indiana University and he enlisted in the service to his country. He served with Battery F of 150th Field Artillery, 42nd Rainbow Division.


Sergeant Woolery was the first WW1 casualty from Monroe County to be killed on foreign soil. He was killed instantly near a small place, Esperance Ferme in France on July 29, 1918 in the afternoon. All four guns were in position and he was the Sergeant in charge of the 4th gun as he was yards away as a shell whistled in and killed him. He was buried just behind the gun position where his remains stayed until 1921.
His remains were returned to the United States on July 15, 1921. The photo of the funeral of Burton Woolery was taken at the corner of 7th and Walnut Streets. The interment was at Rose Hill Cemetery. Dr. Frank Holland, The American Legion commander, presided at the funeral.
The Post was named in memory of Sergeant Burton Woolery, as he was the first service man killed from Monroe County in service to his country on foreign soil. At this time the Post was located on South College Ave. and the first commander was Dr. F. M. Garner.
A new Post was built at 1800 W. 3rd street, which is the present location. This Post was dedicated on May 12, 1973; the commander at this time was Wallace Williams.
The Post formed a Color Guard, with Drill Team and Marching Group in 1946. For several years they competed in State and Nation competition, where they won several State Championships and were runner-up twice in National. They posted the colors for two presidents in Washington, D.C. and stood in review for General Douglas Macarthur in Miami, Florida
Post 18 also has an Honor Guard that are dedicated Veterans who for several years have attended veterans funerals. Honoring the veteran's family with the American Flag, a gun salute and the playing of taps for Veterans of Monroe and surrounding counties.
For a guided tour of our Post, please see our About Us page.